Ok, so summertime is finally here and a lot of you will be out on the water. Here are a few tips on boating safety. When it comes to safety, you are the first line of defense:
- Make sure there are a sufficient number of life jackets on board and that they fit properly and are in good shape. Louisiana law requires children 16 years and under has to wear US Coast Guard approved life jackets at all times while on the boat.
- Just like driving a vehicle under the influence (DUI/OWI), it is illegal to drink and operate a boat under the influence, in all 50 states. So designate a sober driver who will be responsible for getting passengers safely to shore.
- Never over crowd the boat. You can find your boats passenger capacity either on a plate or stamped on or near the stern of the boat and/or in the owner’s manual.
# Operate your boat at a safe speed, considering the traffic, weather, no wake zones and your passengers (young or elderly).
- Chart a safe course to venture out on the water. Understand and use the navigational markers to find your way.
- Follow all the rules and directions issued by the US Coast Guard and Wildlife and Fisheries. These are there to keep everyone safe while enjoying time on the water.
Click here to view additional boating tips and more.